HOT CREAM OF WHEAT OR OATMEAL
With the high cost of package cereals full of sodium, fat and sugar, these recipes will start your family's day off with wholesome goodness for pennies. The maxium nutrition is what you will be getting when rolling and flaking your own grains. Nothing tastes better, warms you more, and as my grandmother use to say “nothing sticks to your ribs better than hot cream of wheat or oatmeal.”
You can also roll out the fresh oats, add milk, and wait for 2-3 minutes and you have a fresh cold oatmeal cereal. Adding fresh fruit, raisins and/or honey for a sweeter taste. Cinnamon is know to held regulate your sugar levels.
2 cups freshly flaked whole wheat or rolled oat groats
3 cups water
1. Place water in saucepan. Add flaked wheat or rolled oats. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
Variation: Kamut, Spelt, Rye and/or Millet
Use flaked kamut, spelt or rye instead of wheat or oats.
Muesli has been a European favorite for many years. This is a great way to serve it hot
1 cup rolled oats 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1/4 cup toasted almond slivers 1 cup warm water
1/4 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 cup raisins
1 cup warm water 1 tablespoon rolled flax seeds
1. In a medium bowl, mix the rolled oats with almonds, cinnamon and coconut flakes.
2. In a separate bowl, mix well the warm water and yogurt. Pour the water mixture over the rolled oats and mix well. Let this sit for 6-8 hours. This can be done the night before.
3. The next day, bring 1 cup of water to a boil with the salt. Add the oat mixture, reduce heat, cover and simmer several minutes.
4. Remove cereal from heat and stir in raisins and ground flax. Serve with butter or cream. Add sweetener if desired.
FRESH HOMEMADE COLD CEREAL
When it is hot outside, and your family is looking for cold cereals, create your own with freshly flaked whole grains. Those who are allergic to wheat can substitute the wheat with spelt or kamut
2 cups rolled oat groats 1 cup flaked barley
2 cups flaked wheat berries 1 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 250F.
2. In a large bowl, mix grains thoroughly. Stir in honey. Mix well. Spread grain mixture evenly on a baking sheet.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring twice. Remove from oven and cool. Store in a container.